Happy Mother’s Day Mum! Didn’t find the time to blog lately. Way too busy with Special Olympics 2014 and the expansion of Hercules Trophy around the globe.
However, I found this nice blog post about Special Olympics on Mothers day. Check it out!
Today we remember mothers who inspire, love, sacrifice, devote and never stop looking after us no matter our age or ability. Glen Finland, mother of Special Olympics athlete David Finland, shares some reflections on motherhood. Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms and moms-to-be! More…
One year before the Winter Games in Korea start! Exciting stuff. Absolutely want to be there next year.
Here in Europe we still have 2,6 years to go for the Europe/Eurasia Summer Games in Antwerp (SO2014). Happy to be part of the organising committee and happy to support Special Olympics here in Belgium through the Hercules Trophy!
Now that my vows are done, I’m ready to wish you all a Herculean 2012.
I hope you’ll all help our famous mascot Herculix to do some good this year. The Herculix Foundation was founded by Inge and it supports Special Olympics in Belgium, Laureus Foundation in The Netherlands, Randall’s Island Sport Foundation in New York and much more to come.
That’s a quote of Peter Bernstein. I agree that we can’t predict the future, but we can create it.
Took the week off from Christmas until New Year. One of the rare holiday weeks this year. That’s what you get when you love your life.
I evaluated the year 2011 with Inge and decided what to focus on in 2012 to get closer to our long term goals.
Did everything go as planned? Of course not. Nothing ever does, so stop complaining and start working harder! Had major setbacks but also achieved a lot more than expected. Who would have thought exactly one year ago, we would have achieved so much??? So in the end 2011 was a smashing year.
As always, I share my short-term vows with everybody who wants to know. Inch by inch remember?
- Welcome a new member in the family on January 18th. Nope, Inge can’t be pregnant.
- Start playing golf again with Inge.
- Inform the Belgians that Special Olympics Summer Games 2014 are coming to Belgium and create a fabulous team of people who want to help me.
- Aim for +1.000 teams participating at a Hercules Trophy in the UAE, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, USA and South-Africa.
- Look for at least 4 new Hercules Trophy locations for 2014/2015/2016 so we can reach +5.000 teams per year. Singapore! New states in the USA! India? Australia? Canada? Abu Dhabi? Qatar? Sao Paolo?
- Support the Herculix Foundation with an eBook written by Inge and myself and collect lots of funding for all the good causes of Hercules Trophy.
My general gut feeling about 2012 tells me most people will now experience what we’ve experienced in the past 3 years: mayor uncertainty and chaos. It’s a challenge guys, but we’ve got great news for you: if it doesn’t kill you, it will make you stronger (Nietzsche).
No winner believes in luck (again Nietzsche), or do you think Messi is all about luck? In any fight, it’s the guy who’s willing to die, who’s gonna win that inch. Are you willing to fight and die for that inch? I am. Because that’s what’s living is.
Tomorrow, we launch the early bird campaign for Hercules Trophy Belgium 2012. Our fans get 25% reduction when they sign up their teams in the next 4 days. Let’s hope we break new records.
We’ve got news: for every player in a team, Hercules Trophy Belgium will donate 1 EUR to Special Olympics 2014 through the Herculix Foundation. How cool is that?
Teambuilding + Sporting Day + Family Day + Employee Party + Customer Incentive + Festival + Networking Event + Fundraising + Corporate Branding = Hercules Trophy
Those who follow me on Twitter know that for weeks now I’ve been preparing for a new and exciting mission.
The Special Olympics Summer Games 2014 are coming to Antwerp and I will take the role of CMO (Chief Marcom Officer). In the next days and weeks I will create a dream team of professionals who will work on this exciting mission for the next 3 years. As I will remain President and CEO of Hercules Trophy I will divide me time between both challenges.
Why I’m so excited? How many reasons do you need? For me, the video below was crucial to understand I want to be part of Special Olympics.
In 2007, Special Olympics Belgium with the assistance of McKinsey and company developed a bid document to bring the games to Belgium. They succeeded. In September 2014 the Special Olympics Europe-Eurasia Games will come to Belgium for 9 days. Special Olympics specifically target athletes with a intellectual disabilities. Antwerp, one of the 22 Olympic cities, will host the event for 2,000 athletes and their delegations from 57 countries. More than 4,000 volunteers will help to make the multi-sport event unique and unseen.
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
- “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”, that’s the Special Olympics athlete oath.
- “Everyone can be a hero”, says Herculix.
- “All sports for all people. This is surely a phrase that people will consider foolishly utopian. That prospect troubles me not at all. I have pondered and studied it at length, and know that it is correct and possible.”, said Pierre de Coubertin.
- “Sport has the power to unite people in a way that little else does.” That’s what Nelson Mandela taught us. At Hercules Trophy, we use this statement to make people understand the value of sports for teambuilding.
Understand why I’m so excited about this?
I hope we can make you all fans of Special Olympics in the years to come.
You can find the press release here.